“i have to do my part, and that’s one of the things that i can do to say that i’m not supporting the action of the president against my city.”
no final date for the service has been set. the city will give riders at least 30 days’ notice before operations cease, dilkens said.
the city will also maintain its licence to operate a tunnel bus, in case “council wants to get back in,” he said. “there may be changes that come federally after another election, maybe, or maybe not.
“there may be things down the road that happen that make the economics make sense.”
dilkens will enact his mayoral budget veto on thursday, the end of his 10-day veto period under the municipal act. council as a whole will then have 15 days to override the veto with an 8-3 vote, dilkens included. that means one councillor who voted last week to cease the service would have to change his or her mind.
voting to eliminate the tunnel bus earlier this month were dilkens and councillors mark mckenzie (ward 4), ed sleiman (ward 5), and jo-anne gignac (ward 6).
dilkens said he’s willing to use some of the savings from tunnel bus operations to invest in the school bus extra program — a transit windsor service that brings paying students to-and-from four high schools along designated routes, and that council voted to eliminate at budget time.