if quebec’s transport department goes through with its plan to dismantle a homeless encampment on notre-dame st. this week, it will be the sixth time devint vézina is displaced in the last two years. sitting among the tents lining the east-end thoroughfare on monday, vézina could only shake his head as he recalled the different times he has been forced to pack his tent and leave.
fed up and defiant, he urged authorities to find a better approach.
“why can’t they lend us a hand, listen to us, work on a solution?” asked vézina, 40. “instead, they just push us around.”
though few people were present at the encampment on monday, those on hand said about 100 people have been spending their nights there in recent months, ranging in age from 18 to one man in his 80s.
the camp is mainly spread out across three clusters of tents along notre-dame st. in addition to the tents on site, there’s also an accumulation of scrap and materials, with overflowing recycling bins and garbage bags piling up.
the transport department, which owns the land, says it warned people last week that they need to vacate the area by nov. 21. a notice stapled to a tree on monday warned of an eviction and “complete cleanup” of the space come thursday.